Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 970's bedroom


My bedroom has kind of been driving me crazy lately. It was the first room I painted after we moved in and I'm starting to think it's too dark (Benjamin Moore's Bar Harbour Beige). The room is on the Northeast corner of the house and, despite windows on two walls, it definitely gets the least amount of sunlight. You've probably never even seen it because it's so dark I can't manage a decent photo for the life of me.

Not to mention, this is still looking kind of wonky. I just painted my kitchen China White and, though I never considered myself a white-walls kind of girl, I have to say I kind of love it! Should I repeat it in the bedroom?


This lovely bedroom is from the 2009 Southern Accents showhouse at Riverhills, which, sadly, was never published in the magazine. You can still see it all online here. Is it just me or is the ceiling blue? Hmmmm maybe that would satisfy my supposed-need for some kind of color the walls? Before I get ahead of myself (and give Wes a heart attack) maybe I should just replace the navy lampshades and see if that helps with the light situation.

11 comments:

Puhvis Kukk said...

I'd go darker instead. Colour Me Happy did a well articulated post on how light color never really makes dark rooms brighter, instead darker color and richer fabrics add an element of drama and make it more cozy. Go and google it, it made total sense.

Jennifer said...

hmmm Puhvis, something to think about for sure!

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Yes, china white all the way!

the Frugal Ecologist said...

I love that bed!

I second the dark walls recommendation. I get little light in my bedroom and have dark grey walls, dark wood furnishings and white linens and rugs (and lampshades). Its working for me!

LindsB said...

I totally thought that was your bedroom for a second, I was wondering where you had been hiding it all this time :)

Anonymous said...

Gotta say ... The first photo of that bedroom looks really, really dark -- And kind of medieval! I like the look of it in the second photo better, but it still looks a bit "old" and stuffy for my taste. I'm not sure what it is, but something about it just isn't sitting right with my decor palette.

Jennifer said...

Linds -- I wish!

Katie Lynn -- to each her own!

Blair said...

i vote for white as well. you can add color with accessories. white is so clean and calming; perfect for a bedroom.

:)
blair

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

I have always found that beige looks dingy in my well shaded rooms or rooms with a northern exposure.

I love the idea of painting ceilings, in general. The ceiling in that photo doesn't look blue to me (maybe it's just my computer), but I'd be weary painting a ceiling in a room that doesn't get good light, unless it's very large or you want it to feel very cozy.

But sometimes it's just fun to try something new. Experiment! You can always repaint, right?

We have a dark, northeast facing guest bedroom, and I recently painted it Behr Cotton Whisper. I'm very happy with it...

http://tearinguphouses.blogspot.com/2010/01/before-after-pictures-historic-house-by.html

Kelly

Ashley said...

I thought that this was your bedroom and was floored! It's beautiful. I would go lighter on the walls and paint the ceiling to brighten the room.

Pink Wallpaper said...

love a blue ceiling...i have done it in several of my client's homes. as soon as i am up again, i plan on doing it to my own. thank you so much for your sweet message jennifer. best, shannon