Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 920


In the fall, I attended an event at the Birmingham Museum of Art celebrating the 250th anniversary of Wedgwood and the BMA's recent acquisition of a very large collection of Wedgwood (it now holds the largest inventory outside the UK). The lecture was very informative and interesting, and the collection is absolutely stunning, if you're ever in town. All this to say, I also got my copy of Tricia Foley's At Home With Wedgwood and it is easily now my favorite inspirational book.


The book features the Wedgwood tablesettings of tastemakers from Charlotte Moss to Thomas O'Brien to Martha Stewart, and even Lord Wedgwood himself, but Tricia Foley's own collection of black basalt is my favorite.


Her Upper East Side apartment is set for a casual winter gathering featuring white flowers, a roaring fire, and her beautiful black basalt.


I really love Tricia's carefully edited style. Sometimes neutral spaces can be boring, but Tricia's illustrate that even a well-edited home can be warm and filled with the things you love. Personally, I don't have the discipline for such a strict palette, but I think it's lovely. Maybe one day.


And of course, I love black basalt. Wes surprised me with a little piece of black Jasperware for Christmas and I love it!


It has just enough modern sensibility (this one isn't mine, by the way).


But the classic white is pretty great, too.

Photos are by Jeff McNamara.

6 comments:

paula said...

It's all so gorgeous. I could lounge in that dining for hours.

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Wow so pretty. That book sounds great!

I love the shade of the wedgewood in the first shot.

LindsB said...

I love all the black basalt- its such a refreshing change from white. Althought, I love plain white too :)

Julie said...

The dark wood fireplace is beautiful! And I've always loved the shape of the Wedgwood tea cup in the last photo. This book will definitely be added to my Amazon wish list. p.s. Thanks for visiting Filed for Later!

Flowers said...

Each and every picture on your blog looks great. Picture of white tulip is amazing and the book seems to be interesting. Will order my copy very soon.

Helen James said...

oh so beautiful, I love the black basalt too, and that mantelpiece composition in her upper east side apt looks fantastic. I will have to add that book to my amazon wishlist x