Thursday, January 22, 2009

Day 572's trip recap


I wish I could show you some pictures of kitchy little Helen, Georgia, but all I have to show for our trip are some photos taken in an antique store. You're not surprised, are you? One afternoon we browsed a few shops in Nacoochee Village, a neat little area just a half mile from Helen. All of the buildings are old houses with lots of charm. The antique store -- Nacoochee Antiques -- was in a huge old farmhouse that had at least 15 fireplaces.




There were several pretty dressers that just oozed farmhouse style. And probably more milk glass than I've ever seen in one place. I bought a gorgeous jadeite cake stand that I love (it looks like this).


After browsing, we had a fantastic dinner at Nacoochee Grill. I love this little place! It was a little too dark inside to take any pictures of it, so check out what's on the Web site. Most of the food and wine is local (except the seafood, obviously), and everything we had was delicious -- you should try the Crab Stuffed Portabella.

So, that and the aforementioned fire-burning pretty much sums up the trip! A great long weekend was had by all.

4 comments:

Heather Warren said...

loving the cake stand.

megan @ a life's design said...

Sounds like a lovely and relaxing time. We must take a day trip up to this area. It is too cute.

Arlynn said...

I adore Helen, GA! It's one of my favorite, kitchy little tourist towns & I just love it!

In fact, the first Valentine's Day the Hubs & I spent together was over a long weekend in Helen.

Now you're tempting me to ask the Hubs to take me back. Again.

Thanks for the trip inspiration!

~Arlynn

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Jennifer, I totally didn't realize you live in B'ham too! What a surprise. I have been talking about doing a B'ham blogger get-together for a couple of months, so let's definitely do that. I'm going to get something planned after I get back from my blogger conference in Nashville in 2 weeks. Maybe something in March would be a good time to shoot for. There are a lot of B'ham bloggers & it would be fun to to out antiquing and for lunch one Sat. so stay tuned for a gathering!

Wasn't it a blast shopping with Eddie!