Thursday, April 10, 2008

Day 285's discoveries


When we moved into our house, it was the end of February, rainy, dreary and cold. Everything was brown, muddy and dormant. With the first hint of warm weather, I was poking around the yard, fingers crossed, looking for something that might bloom. Now that it's April, I have to say, I have not been disappointed!


We azealas of almost every shape, size and color spread allllll around the yard. If we ever get around to turning our attention to the exterior, I hope we can transplant them all to more logical locations.


Along the border of our neighbors' yard, we have the quintessential Southern flowering tree, the dogwood. And I think there are some oakleaf hydrangeas starting to leaf out along our border in the back -- my favorite! Also in the jungle of our backyard are four or five gigantic forsythia bushes (another favorite!), and you'd better believe that I was risking life and limb climbing through thorny vines to bring cut branches into the house every week they were in bloom. Oh so pretty.


And in addition to the flowering bushes, there is a plethora of evergreen bushes too. Can't wait for Christmas to come around so I can use the boxwood, holly and nandina cuttings to decorate the house.

3 comments:

Freckles Chick said...

This makes me wish our yard would hurry up and "bloom". Instead, we have an inch of snow on the ground. Gah!

Love how lush yours is--so jealous!

leah @maritalbless said...

Absolutely gorgeous! MN is still defrosting, thank you for showing me some blooms!

Corey said...

Lucky you with dogwood blooms close by!